CNY hightlights 2014

The chinese new year hype might have died down, but containers and containers of cny goodies stacked at home served as a constant reminder t...

The chinese new year hype might have died down, but containers and containers of cny goodies stacked at home served as a constant reminder that this festive celebration was just a week ago and that I should get back to my fitness routine. This year, I never expect that I would commit myself to queuing long hours under the scorching sun just to purchase bak kwa (bbq dried pork slices). I always see it as ridiculous and a waste of precious time, but I still went with it anyway. I'm glad I did. I am always so busy trying to get my post-education life together, having so much stuff to worry in my mind, I never truly enjoyed something. The 3 hours wait was honestly excruciating, but after I got my hands on those legendary cny products, the achievement I felt was beyond words. Besides, the bak kwa was really yummy too.

 photo 20140127_094830c_zps3c8fa029.jpg

Kim Peng Hiang (金品香) might not have done as much advertising as big brands such as Lim Chee Guan, Bee Cheng Hiang or Fragrance, yet this 70-years old brand still attracts eye-catching queues during the chinese new year period. Kim Peng Hiang only has 2 outlets set up on this island; Chinatown Pearl's Centre and 465 Changi Road (main outlet). Their hot selling product is the Pineapple BBQ Pork, where thinly shredded pineapples were adding into the pork slice. A whole new sensation to the taste buds.

 photo PicMonkeyCollage_zps953ff702.png

Instead of the usual hotpot dinning style for reunion dinner, our family had ours in the peng chai (盆菜) style. This year, we also had a record breaking of over 10 containers of cny goodies received from families and friends. Just J alone, has already contributed 5 containers to the batch. It's going be a tough time finishing these goodies but nevertheless, I appreciate all the love showered on my family. 初二 was filled with house visiting/hopping, and the last house visit we went before calling it a day was Timo's place. We had a tour at his gigantic house located at Stevens Road before being ushered into the kitchen where endless delicious food keeps coming out from the kitchen. I guess this must be what it feels like to live like a queen haha! Last few visiting for the entire chinese new year period too place in Malaysia, over at my maternal family. I would say the best thing, beside see my long-distance relatives again, was getting to eat my favourite coleslaw fried dough fritters (油條) again :)


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Klook.com