Travelogue: Cultural Penang (I)

Some time back, I took an impromptu break from my hectic schedules and flee away to Penang. Settled the ticket within a day and flew solo a...

Some time back, I took an impromptu break from my hectic schedules and flee away to Penang. Settled the ticket within a day and flew solo a day after; that was how spontaneous the trip was and I have to say it felt really great! Huge love to my colleague who invited and hosted me. Thank you E and family!

Now, whenever someone mentions Penang, the street murals of George Town will never be left out of discussion. Similarly, my host had that planned out for me, but before anything else, they drove me to a local Rojak stall to kick start my Penang trip.

Slightly different from the one I've known all my life; Penang's rojak is a concoction of fruits (Pineapple, guava, green mango etc.) with a twist of thick shrimp paste sauce. Definitely a sweet start to my adventures!

I absolutely adore the Muah Chee (Glutinous Rice Balls) sold by this uncle in the most traditional method I know – on a motorbike. A nostalgic scene you don’t get to see anymore back in Singapore. You can easily know that he’s there because that strong sugary, roasted peanut fragrance is unmistakable and unavoidable. Unknowingly, you will drift towards his stall haha! Uncle only have a bucket of steamed glutinous rice dough, I suppose when the bucket is emptied, he closes for the day.

These glutinous balls are the softest I had in a long time, not very braces friendly but still a wonderful snack anyhow. Served warm and chewy, these snack balls are rolled over finely chopped roasted peanut and fine sugar. A simple yet satisfying food.

Apart from immersing into the culture, what else to do when you are in Penang other than stuffing yourself silly with all the amazing Penang delights? Dinner was settled at Lebuh Kimberely night market; also located within George Town. My excellent host sat me down and soon returned with a table full of food. Penang laska, Dim Sum, Yong Tau Fu soup and a childhood dessert! - Peanut Soup!

Heritage buildings are easily spotted in Penang, but there is this particular one that is frequently spoke about – China House. Known as the longest café in Penang, China House host several cafes, galleries, restaurant and shop etc. With over 10 different selection of cakes to choose from, Beach Street Bakery is the paradise for people with sweet tooth. Apart from cakes and pastries, they offer ice-cream as well! Took our cakes and settled down in Vine & Single bar, where my host generously ordered champagnes and craft beers to go with the desserts. Now, that's how holiday nights should end 😉

China House is a traditional compound of 3 heritage buildings, linked by an open air courtyard and converted into 14 spaces comprising shops, cafes, restaurants, galleries, live music and bakery.

China House
153 & 155 Beach Street
183 Victoria Street
10300 George Town, Penang
Tel: +604 263 7299
Sun – Thurs (9am to midnight) / Fri – Sat (9am to 1am)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Klook.com