SC Maranthon 2010

My first attempt at marathon; UNFORGETTABLE. The pain silently attacks during 19km onwards. When I say silent attack, I literally...


My first attempt at marathon; UNFORGETTABLE.

The pain silently attacks during 19km onwards. When I say silent attack, I literally meant that one moment ago, you could be running pain free and the next, your foot and ankle is attack by millions and billions of pins. Not just surface pains, but those that went straight into your veins. And with every step you take, it felt like a sensitive tooth making contact with cold drink (except a trillion time more painful ).


29km onwards was worst. After 10km of run within East Coast Park, the exit lead us to a route from Marina Bay golf course to along Marina Reservoir to Marina Barrage. That whole 7km of construction site road was pure torture. In fact it was hell. The scorching sun burned my entire exposed body areas. Without any form of shelter, I was an easy target of heat stroke.

  When I exited Marina Barrage, I saw yet another trail of agony; East Coast Parkway Expressway (ECP). Located opposite Marina Bay. Without any drink stations and being under the sun for about 1 hour, my leg gave way. Half way through the expressway I cried out, I was suffering from unimaginable soreness. My left foot was throbbing with soreness and pain. I can't control my muscles. In fact, I had to drag it along the road. 

I was burning with fiery heat, my eyes lost their focus. All I knew was that, Justin held me tight against him and move me forward, he was saying "Baby, don't give up. We're left with 4km. Don't give up, you can do it." I remember being walked to one of the medi station and asked to lie on a stretcher. Ice cold towers were place all over me. I hit a temperature of 37.6

I ask Justin to run along while a took rest there. My head was aching already, I felt vomit sensation filling my throat but no, it never came out. Volunteers told me I was only a few km away from ending point and asked me to continue. And I drag my foot all the way, teeth clenched. 


Aftermath of the race; Serious abrasions between my thighs, swollen foot, walking difficulties, stiff muscles, painful joints and horrendous burns.

Peppermint cooling foot spray from The Body Shop helps with the soreness! It keeps the soreness away, replacing it with cool minty feeling! I kept spraying it, I think my feet smells like mint, ha!
 
I guess the marathon was worth a try :) I finally have a taste of really tough running and will never look at 2.4 the same way again. If you asked whether I will take a go at another round of marathon, my answer will still be yes. But a 20km is enough for me :)


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. omg! you're damn cool!

    congrats for completing the marathon!

    i admire your determination <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha :D Thanks Kelly! You look really adorable :))

    ReplyDelete

Klook.com